Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Conquering Self Doubt

Sometimes I just have to trust myself.

There are times when I'm feeling down on myself and that nothing I write is worth the scrap paper it's printed on.

As you can imagine, that mood doesn't help me write one bit. Those are the negative creeping thoughts that are detrimental to my writing.

When those thoughts pop up, I've realized that I need to to take a break and do something completely unrelated to writing. Then, I need to come back at a time when my thoughts are clear and reread something I've written that I haven't touched in awhile.

I did this today. I reread the last bit I wrote of book 2 of my Just Sam series. I am completely immersed in my world and have a big grin on my face. Oh how I adore Samantha and her world. I am quite amazed with myself and my writing.

I pray this doesn't come off as conceited, because it isn't meant to--part of me feels like I didn't even write the parts I read, but I love them even more than I did in the first place. I know I wrote it so maybe I'm not supposed to say how much I like it, but I truly do. I am proud of my accomplishment. I love Sam's world. I hope that I can continue to do the world justice. If my immersion into the world says anything, it says I'm on the right track.

I need to trust that I write for a reason. That all of those countless hours are not for nothing. I am a decent writer--at least of the sort of story I like to read. When doubts creep in, I need to remember days like today--days where I am in love with my characters all over again.


No comments: