Thursday, September 10, 2009

Finding yourself is overrated

I'm going to get a little new agey on all of you here. Prepare yourself as you deem necessary.

I am a Virgo. Yup, the Eternal Virgin, which can basically mean we have a giant rod stuck up our asses from time to time. However... there is something else that softens this critical quality that we Virgos have. It's called being a mutable sign.

Per Wikipedia:

In astrology, the mutable signs (also called common signs or bicorporal or double-bodied signs) are a subgroup of the zodiac. They are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces. The mutable signs straddle two temperate zone seasons, encompassing an inherent duality in its symbolism.

In the tropical zodiac, mutable signs coincide with the times of change in the seasons. They are associated with change and versatility. Individuals born under the four mutable quality signs are thought to be adaptable, impressionable, sharp, sympathetic, communicative, resourceful and restless, with a gift for seeing both sides of a situation at the same time and an immense desire for knowledge, variety and new ideas. They supposedly adapt very well to new situations, possess much flexibility, seldom have any particular agenda and are perfectly happy to fill in an assigned role. However, they are also said to be inconsistent, changeable, nervous, indecisive and irresponsible, with a tendency to get wrapped up in tiny particulars. There is also a certain duality associated with all the mutable quality signs.


So what does all the gobbledygook mean? It means that we Virgos tend to take on traits of those around us. In a sense, parts of our own personalities are muted and are replaced with our friends, family members, coworkers etc.

You know those girls in high school that would change what music they listened to or the way they dressed based on the guy they were dating...?? Yeah. It's like that.

Sounds kind of horrible right? Never really being yourself and always being a chameleon to the people around you? Sure it has its moments and I must say that I spent a lot of time trying to figure out who I really was. I spent years hating that I didn't know if I really liked something, or if it was because a friend liked it, or a boyfriend. I constantly questioned myself. The conclusion? This behavior is part of who I am. I definitely have my own tastes, even if it takes me awhile to figure it out. And really, what is so wrong with enjoying something for a time because someone around you enjoys it or because you want to find common ground with someone? Also, I've found that it doesn't apply to those who are closest to me. I don't take on traits of my best friends or my family members. I think I understand them well enough that the curiosity gene in me doesn't activate itself.

There are a lot of pluses to being mutable. We get along with a wide variety of people. We can be quite empathetic. We experience, and truly enjoy varied hobbies, tastes, subject matters etc.

It is particular useful for writing. Writers, fiction writers in particular, have to really get inside someone's head. It's a natural occurrence for those of us who are mutable signs. We spend the vast majority of our lives being parts of other people in order to understand them and relate.

So as a writer I saw that finding yourself is overrated. Finding and understanding other people on the other hand is wildly fascinating and helpful.

Mute Karaoke. Who needs standardized sign language anyway?

5 comments:

CoD said...

ROFLMAO Ok, first, I LOVED the video. Seriously cracked me up. Probably one of my favs you posted so far.

Now that that is out of the way, on to the meat of the blog. While its all very well and good, I gotta say I disagree. I think to a certain extent its just human nature and has nothing to do with what sign you are or are not born under. After all I will do the exact same thing, most times unconsciously and Aquarius is no where amid that list of mutable signs. However it is nice to know that those of us that manage to sneak into that very privileged inner group of yours are same from emulation. lol

CoD

Sandra Tuttle said...

Oh I concur. It is definitely part of the human condition. We do try to find similarities and group them together, why not try to change yourself to fit into a certain group?

Also... prepare for new agey-ness. It could also be that you have some mutable sign in you, either as a rising sign etc.

Muwahahaha!!!!!!!

All can be described by astrology!!

I wonder how mute karaoke guy would show astrology. Suggestions?

CoD said...

Grrr, I meant safe from emulation, not same. *rolls eyes* That's totally what I get for not using the preview button.

CoD

CoD said...

I'm seeing waving water for mine and a blushing virgin w/ emphasis on breasts for yours. lmao

As for the mutable signs. Personally, its fun to play with and interesting to read, but honestly its all just fluffy bullsh*t.

CoD

Sandra Tuttle said...

LMAO Blushing virgin titties indeed!

It'd be so nice if fluffy bullshit could explain the world though wouldn't it?