Friday, October 19, 2007

Revision Check List

Revising a manuscript can be a painful process. The writer puts their heart and soul into this piece and then has to tear down its walls and see what parts of their soul don't fit with the others. Revising is like the worst SAT test problem known to man.

The revision process is a necessary evil. It is the cooking down process that boils away the water and leaves a full bodied flavor behind--one that lingers on the palette.

But I'm not here to argue the benefits of revision. I'm here to break down the process into manageable bits by making a list.

WARNING: Do not start revision until you are done writing the piece. Revising while still writing will only lead to heartache and loss of quality time. Get your story out. Don't worry about rules, just write your story. You can always go back and fix it later, but you can't fix what you don't have. Write it, put it away and a few days/weeks/months later take it out and see what you can do to make it the best it can be.

There are a few ways of starting the revision process. For me, a person more creatively bent than structural, I start with theme and characterization. Others may start with plot, or even grammar, but I suggest editing grammar last.

Things to think about while revising:
1. Theme
2. Characterization
3. Plot/Structure/Pacing
4. Setting
5. Voice/Tone
6. Tricks of the trade: What to avoid
7. Writing Craft/Grammar

For the next few days/weeks I will touch upon each of these elements, so keep checking back for updates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog as usual...you do bring up an interesting point about not revising till your done though. Perhaps thats why I never finish any thing I start, I'm constantly trying to revise as I write. Hmm, something to think about. Keep up the good work!

CoD