Sunday, October 07, 2007

Synopsis writing...

I wish I could tell my readers, many of whom are writers, that synopsis writing is easy, but frankly it isn't. It could possibly be one of the most frustrating endeavors you undertake. There is an emotional element to writing a synopsis. And here I'm talking about a synopsis that is written after the book is complete, not a play by play to help you remember where you are in the plot.

Writing a synopsis is emotional because you have to deem some parts/characters of your book more important than others--it's on par with choosing which one of your children you love more. Not an easy feat.

For me, synopsis writing started out of desperation. I was a new writer with an unfinished manuscript eager to enter a contest with my first chapter, as contest winners get published. But, I had to have a 5 page synopsis to go along with my entry. I puked out the synopsis after a few tries and ended up writing it first person (just like my book) I found it easier to write the synopsis the same way I wrote the book. The manuscript wasn't finished, so the end of my synopsis was very general.

A few months later as I finished the book and was ready to undertake the editing process. I sat down and tried to write the synopsis. I found I just couldn't do it. Nothing felt right, nothing was fresh--I just flat out wasn't into it. In a moment of divine inspiration, I went to my old computer and fished out the old synopsis. The energy level was good, it still felt fresh. I had to tweak a few more things but then I had a working synopsis.

Except of course that it should be written in third person present tense. I went through and changed all of the tenses and all the I's and my's to her, she or Sam. Done right?

Not quite. I had to cut characters and scenes to tighten up the flow of the story. Not good. Not Easy and a damned near annoying process.

Hints? Tips? Suggestions?

First let me say that the synopsis process could be a bit more difficult for us fantasy, paranormal, sci fi writers. Why? Because we write about things that not everyone will understand. But there is a benefit in all that--it's easy to find readers who aren't familiar with your genre. This is key, find readers who know nothing about your book, your genre and aren't afraid to tell you what they think. Show them the synopsis and ask if it makes sense. Have them point out parts that don't seem to go, or that they don't understand.

Then please please please take these considerations to heart. Really Really Really think about them. Get into an emotional place where you care about your book, but where you care about its end result. This is tough love people. Get into the ruthless militarian state of mind where the greater good of the many overrules the good of the individual. It is just a synopsis after all, merely a marketing tool. It isn't the end all, be all of your book.

Answer one question and then focus on that.

The question?

What is your book about? One sentence, that's it. Mine is: My book is about a woman, going through a major life changing event, seeks to find who she is.

Doesn't sound like fantasy, scifi, paranormal much does it? No, but despite the vampires, werewolves, witches, special powers, murders... that is the purpose of my book. Samantha is trying to find out who she is, where she fits in, what her purpose is. In fact, that is the purpose of my whole series.

Answer your question. The answer is the direction of your synopsis. What parts of the story are most important to show your question and answer?

Then edit the shit out of your synopsis. Cut characters, cut special powers, cut secondary character's motivations and get down to brass tacks. Your synopsis should have a logical train of though containing a beginning, a middle, a climax and a falling action. It should read as a complete story. Emotional lines and plot lines should be tied off nicely. Your best resource is to have people unassociated with the book, read the synopsis.

For more resources...

http://www.writing-world.com/publish/synopsis.shtml
http://www.charlottedillon.com/synopsis.html - a lot of links there.
http://www.fictionwriters.com/tips-synopsis.html
http://www.vivianbeck.com/writing/5_steps_to_writing_a_synopsis.htm - an agent talks about how to write a synopsis

The Writer's Journey.

No comments: