Thursday, November 26, 2009

Counter intuitive things to be thankful for

Yes I'm doing a Thanksgiving blog: surprise surprise. But since I can't seem to do anything in a standard fashion, I thought I'd mix things up a bit. Things that I'm thankful for that perhaps I shouldn't, or just that seem counter intuitive.

I am thankful for:

Being laid off.
Being divorced.
Being virtually homeless.

These surely aren't things most people would categorize in the thankful category but for me they all represent one thing: Freedom (I can hear Mel Gibson screaming it...yeah it's that important to me too.)

This freedom from the daily grind, mortgages and rent gives me the opportunity to write and explore the world. It enables me to give writing and traveling a chance.

I know this wouldn't work for everyone--hello, I have a huge freaking family and friends that live all over the country and want me to come visit them. But for anyone that wants to travel and is laid off--see how much you can do without and see about taking trips on the cheap.

There are a lot of websites out there for people who don't have spread out friends and family.

Google couch surfing, caretakers gazette, travel writing, house sitting. Heck, even writers who work from home or write when they aren't working a regular job need a break from reality or their own space--even if it is house sitting down the block or in the town over.

www.caretaker.org
www.couchsurfing.com
www.couchsurfing.org
7 Things You Should Know Before Becoming A Digital Nomad
Travel full-time for less than $14,000 per year


Some of these have an annual fee--but that's to keep the riff raff out :-P


Video: Maybe if I lived in this house I'd be more prone to stay in one spot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view