Monday, October 16, 2006

Dreams...

I can't decide whether they add to a book, or make it cheesy as hell. In theory it is a great way to show there are more layers to your characters... some of their subconscious motivations or thoughts on certain issues. Especially in the paranormal genre, so much can be done with dreams. Or if you write in first person narrative as I do, your character will avoid thinking about certain things, so how can you get your reader to understand that lack of thought? You'll have to show that thought some how and subconsciously, in a dream, is one way to achieve that.

I have two dream sequences in my book, but they are different... I swear. Ha! Don't we all say that? ( no seriously they are :-P ) Really they are more visions, a witnessing of someting happing in real time, that just happen to take root when she is sleeping... see I told you they were different. I suppose that is a slight variation to the dream sequence.

Another method of story telling that I'm not sure I like is the story teller itself. Having a story teller in your book. I can see the merits of it (movie: Princess Bride, yay!) but really, isn't the author story teller enough? Unless the story is written in first person, with a limited perspective, or the story teller themself has some key role in the story being told, I'd rather have it done away with altogether. It seems redundant to me. You have the author, you don't need a story tell to add flowery words to your story, to add dramatic tension. Either put the flowery words in the text, or do away with it all together.

Okay so I was looking up cheesy dream sequences on YouTube in hope to find something amusing for my blog today but I found this instead... hope you enjoy the impressions.

No comments: