Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's official, I'm a rule breaker

I broke the "rules of revising" and I couldn't be happier about. The past 3-4 days have been fruitless endeavors in revision. But I bucked convention and just did it how I wanted to do it last night. I wanted to rewrite chapter 1, so I did. And boy am I happy I did. I think it turned out incredible. I don't know how many times I've rewritten that sucker but I finally feel that its done.

I got through 18 pages of rewrites yesterday and am feeling pretty darn good about it. I can keep up at least that level of progress. If that's the case I will get through the book in 20 days. Not bad. That means I can possibly have query letters going out by the first of the year. I will feel confident because my ms will be revised, the synopsis will be written (oh God don't let that be as big of a chore as I anticipate it will) Book 1 will be in its finished form, then I can dedicate my time to book 2 and plotting out ideas for future books.

I think perhaps I just need to do what I feel lead to do. There are of course rules to writing... but until I learn those completely, I need to go by what I feel. I want to rewrite chapter 1? I write it, I don't care if I didn't read through the whole thing to get a better feel for where my character is at the end... that didnt work for me. I need to start making up my own rules.

And courtesy of my good friend Marzie... another who bucks convention. Up the independent thinkers!

No comments: