Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ooh! something new.

The two story brick home was traditional in this part of town. Nothing set it apart from its neighbors. Even the high tech security system appeared mundane, no small signs with “dwarf secured” on them adorned the lawn. The metal gate was stately with a large Calligraphic F on the center. It was also slightly ajar.

I pushed through the gate, noting the lack of security. Anyone could’ve been in there by then. Stepping across the threshold, there was no noise save the squishing of the wet leaves beneath my feet. A pale blue security light hummed above my head. I was surprised to see it there, most shape shifters wanted it dark, not only for secrecy but they also wanted the moon unobstructed. The light afforded me a better look of the house however. The leaves on the driveway weren’t the only sign of neglect. They also littered the gutters and a small piled cornered itself in the front door. If intruders had gotten into the house, it wasn’t through that door. It had been days, perhaps weeks since it’d been opened.

Not wanting to alert anyone to my presence, I left my car a ways down the street. I may not have investigated a security breach before, but I knew enough that I didn’t want to come in guns a blazing. Although, to be honest, that did hold a certain appeal for me, I always did like violent movies. I was here to investigate, not protect, not arrest, not to instill truth, justice and the American way.


No comments: