Sunday, March 11, 2007

Good Authors List

This is a random blog that is off schedule. I have a bit of time today, just finished reading a new book and was posting about it on a forum. So that makes me think of other books and be on the lookout for new ones. I'm always seeking new authors and it helps me decide to read someone if I get a good recommendation from someone who I know enjoys the same books I do.

So here is a list of authors that I enjoy. So if you like reading things similar check out the other authors:

In no particular order...

Paranormal Fiction:


LAURELL K HAMILTON dark and sexy books, she makes a great read no matter what she writes.

CHARLAINE HARRIS:
I'm a fan of her Southern vampire series.. GO sookie!

KIM HARRISON
Kim writes a different kind of book in a different kind of world, if you like vampires, weres, witches etc... check her out

SUNNY
: I finished Mona Lisa Awakening a few weeks ago and was thoroughly entertained by it. It's dark, sexy intriguing and full of real characters.

KERI ARTHUR:
sexy sexy sexy *raar* Check out her Riley Jenson series

KATIE MACALISTER:
A fun author, her Aisling Grey series is both entertaining and lighthearted.

KELLEY ARMSTRONG:
I would classify her books as those of a serious author. Mild humor thoroughout, but for the most part the plot is on the serious side.

LILITH SAINTCROW:
Dante Valentine is a woman with issues and a kicking ass attitude.

CARRIE VAUGHN:
Ahh, then we have Kitty, the werewolf, a late night radio show talk show host. Her books are full of humor, good music and weighty plot when it's required


Paranormal/Futuristic Romance:


MICHELLE BARDSLEY: Chick litty voice, books full of spunky moms turned vamp.

KRESLEY COLE: No Rest for the Wicked may be one of the best romances I've read this year. The romance aspect of the book was great... but the surrounding plot blew me away, quite a fertile imagination Cole has.

SHERRILYN KENYON: The Dark Hunter series--very original in idea and well written, the series should be read in order to get the most of it. Valerius and Wren are two of my faves.

SUSAN KEARNEY: The Challenge is my fave of hers--futuristic romance.

KAREN MARIE MONING: Paranormal historicals with time travel, faeries and lots of hot scottish guys!

LINNEA SINCLAIR:
wonderful world building, especially in Finders Keepers.

JR WARD:
Brotherhood of the Sword series has to be my favorite romance series to date. She writes warrior men extremely well... so well in fact that I'm jealous as hell at her amazing talent.


Romance:

SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS:
key word here: quirky

KINLEY MACGREGOR: aka Sherrilyn Kenyon.

SUZANNE ENOCH:
Historicals that have creative very individual heroines and progressive thinking males.

DEBORAH SIMMONS:
The Devil Earl is my fave of hers.

TANYA ANNE CROSBY
has the knack for writing in scottish dialect. I had a blast trying to sound out the words as I read.


Fiction:

JANET EVANOVICH is funny funny funny.

MICHAEL CRICHTON: Sphere was a fave as a teen.

CLIVE CUSSLER: Dirk Pitt is a throwback hero from another time. I adore the way Cussler interweaves archaeology, history with modern technology and social issues.

DAN BROWN: suspense and intrigue at its finest, yet another author whose mind I'm jealous I don't have.

GEORGE ORWELL: 1984--possibly favorite book of all time.


YA books:

JK ROWLING needs no introduction.

DIANE DUANE: The young wizard series (pre Potter thank you very much) is delightful and full of awe, especially book two of the series Deep Wizardry

EOIN COLFER- Author of the wacky, boy genius Artemis Fowl

CS LEWIS needs no introduction either

MELANIE GIDEON: The Map that Breathed is a wonderful book

TERRY PRATCHETT: Bromeliad Trilogy is great, YA books with adult themes told though a story that is easy for everyone to grasp--on par with Animal Farm by Orwell to me.

BRUCE COVILLE: An amazing author is so many different genres.

LOUIS SACHAR: A must read for children and adults with sense of humor. For anyone who has ever known, raised, or been a child with ADHD There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom is a must. Versatile author.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome list, Ms. Tuttle!! I plan to investigate some of these folks further. :) I wondering why you didn't mention C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp, who wrote Hunter's Moon with Tony, the wolf shapeshifter we both like! :D

Sandra Tuttle said...

Doh! I did forget them. I went through my bookshelf and it wasn't on there! It was sitting out. :( I haven't read more of theirs though. Although I do have Moon's Web, another from Tony's perspective I need to read.

So yes, Hunter's Moon, a first person Paranormal Romance written from the male's perspective: A MUST READ.

Tim Kavi said...

Thanks for the list, Sandra! I would be a complete newbie in some of these genres, and with your great list here, I can be skillfully guided in my reading--so that I don't waste my time! Thanks again!