Wednesday, March 21, 2007

HOW to think, not WHAT to think

Today I want to talk about not only research, but knowledge. I’ve said quite a few times that I want to teach my children HOW to think, not WHAT to think. I believe that is also true of adults.

Many individuals believe that learning ends when school does. There aren’t a whole lot of people checking out text books at the library, but there are some. Most of us read for pleasure (hey I’m not knocking it, because that’s exactly what I do) watch TV, movies, listen to music… but how many of us actively seek out knowledge? Fewer than I’d like I’m sure.

For a “civilian” (and in this sense I use that term to refer to someone who isn’t a writer) this is standard M.O. For a writer however, we need to write about what we know, consequently that means we need to know A LOT.

So, where do you start? Do we just learn about everything possible? Well, that may be taking it a bit too far, but I don’t think knowledge ever hurt anyone, unless of course you are writing an intrigue and those who are in the know are getting bumped off with a quickness. I’d say a good place to start is with topics that interest you. For me it’s witchcraft, mythology, archaeology, psychology, Vikings, Motocross, swords, martial arts, wolves etc… So I look up those things. I’m not a big fan of nonfiction reading, boy do I wish I was. So instead, I try to find documentaries about these topics. Or motion pictures that deal with the subjects.

Blockbuster Online and Netflix are great places to start looking. For Vikings: I watch 13th warrior, Beowulf and Grendel. Witchcraft: the Craft, Practical Magic. Wolves? I read Call of the Wind, perhaps watch White fang, and find documentaries dealing with their group dynamics. Archaeology? I purchased a subscription to an Arch. Zine. Swords? I have a friend who is interested in them and has helped me with authenticity in my book. I also went to a SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) meeting and immersed myself in living history.

In home schooling we have something called Living Books. These books are used for teaching, but are not nonfiction. They are usually told like fiction, but have a great deal of historically accurate information in them. Nonfiction tends to be very dry—it’s like a rule or something. So why put yourself through that if you don’t have to? We are studying the Middle Ages this year, so I bought a book called “How would you survive in the Middle Ages.” Instead of a dry account of what life was like, it compares it to modern day and makes the child put themselves in the place of a peasant, a lord, a lady… submerging them in the culture, making it real for them, or alive—thus a living book.

When first trying to learn about a subject, I head for the children’s section. Not only are the books more colorful and entertaining, but they are also written for a novice. If I have no prior knowledge of something, why would I go to the adult section to get an adult book? I’d jut be torturing myself and not get anywhere. Whereas, if I start with a kid’s book, I lay a foundation of knowledge to build upon, instead of trying to build the second story on a foundation of muck.

Now, let’s say that I achieve a level of adult knowledge on a subject—where to go from there. How do I know what to learn about a subject? What is important?

Well it just so happens that I found an invaluable resource last night. Just so happens it’s FREE. MIT has most of the courses online for free. Granted, you won’t be getting a degree, but the reading lists, syllabi, lecture notes and assignments for classes are online. Check it out: http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html

Then we have my favorite resource of all time-the internet. I look up on average, a dozen things a day. I am a seeker of knowledge, I like knowing things. I love useless facts (which even if they seem useless I can typically entertain someone with my random facts, thus making their life richer by having me in it. HA!)

If you don't seek out knowledge, all you are left with is what you were taught in schools. If you went to public school, then you would be limiting yourself to knowledge that was boxed and stamped with approval. There isn't anything wrong with that, but the boxes are mass produced, why would you want to be just like everyone else? Why would you only want to have the knowledge that was approved? What about all the things that didn't get a Grade A Stamp? Do you know what they call teaching someone the information, and only in the information you want them to know?

Brainwashing.

This video is called Brainwash America: How to Brainwash a Nation. (It's just a video folks, not a political statement of mine)

1 comment:

Tim Kavi said...

Hi Sandra! Thanks for the resource-- http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html .. I'll definitely check it out. Finding out information is important for a writer, I agree, ala 'research'. University libraries if accessible to one's locale (their facilities can be used on location or a borrowers card purchased) are good; Google Scholarly has a service that is useful (although not all items are full text) and Wikipedia may provide some basic information although the facts may need checking in rare cases. Thanks again!