Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Looking for opinions...

145 blogs later and I'm still not sure what I'm doing.

I read an article about the purpose of blogs and it helped me see things in a different light. Blogs are our legacy. They will be here for years, well after we've forgotten about them. They are archived and people can look at them ten years from now. Is what I'm saying in my blog important enough, relevant enough, to stand the test of time? To be honest, I'm not sure and that worries me.

I am not a published author...yet, so the traffic here is most likely fairly light, but I know I have some faithful readers and some lurkers to be sure.

What is it that these people keep coming back for? (and it isn't because they are my best friends or family, cause they don't read my blog regularly lol)Do they like my short stories the most? The trials of figuring out how to be a writer? My hints and tips I've learned along the way? The ranting I do from time to time? The random facts about me? Is what I'm saying going to be relevant years--decades--from now? Once again, I don't know.

Is the frequency of my blogging not as important as the content? I'm sure it isn't. But don't people want to know when there will be something new posted? I'm sure that's the case as well. So I need to set a schedule for blogging, which I already have, but I also need to make sure each and every blog is meaningful. Now how do I calculate when I'll be able to make a significant blog? That gets a bit tricky. Each week is different, inspiration is different from day to day. I have vacations, shoddy internet connection, illness etc. So any suggestions?

I'd like to know what my readers think. How often should I blog (within reason folks) and what are your favorite type of my blogs to read? I spend time 3-5 days a week trying to come up with something of worth to read, let me know if I'm succeeding in that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra:
I'm new here - followed your bulletin from MySpace, but I love reading about the life and trials of writers as well as discussions on the art and craft of writing.
Random facts are also good because it's a great way to get to know someone! Good luck with the blog and I'll be back to see how you're doing!

Anonymous said...

I thought about leaving a response that was like a fortune cookie. Instead all you get is this stinking response.lol

Sometimes it is the little nothings that mean more than the stack up somethings. Enjoy being you and follow your bliss.

Joseph

http://www.myspace.com/_one_x2

Anonymous said...

Sandra:

I could say the same as everyone else. Blogs are like snapshots of what the person, author, writer, wants to share at the time. People who are interested in knowing you, knowing of you, and or interested in the writing and creative process--want, I think only one thing--messages from the heart--no matter when and how often you want to share them. Sincerity, openness,--these are the things that keep me coming back--and glad to know you.

A fellow writer, Lee. J. Keller

myspace.com/lee_j_keller