Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Talents I wished I posessed

I'd like to believe that with practice and patience, all things are possible. But perhaps that isn't the case? Or perhaps I just don't have the damned patience to make it possible?

While my patience with others is limited, patience with myself is downright nonexistent.

I'd love to be able to not only play a musical instrument, but compose music as well. And yet I wasn't born a prodigy, therefore I do not pursue it.

I've love to tool around on a skateboard and do tricks. And yet, here I am, uncoordinated.

I'd love to sing and have a beautiful voice that even sounds nice without accompaniment. Yet, I'm afraid I may have my father's tone-deafness and have never really pursued it.

I'd love to dance and be able to express emotions with every part of my body. And yet, here I am... out of shape and inflexible.

Are some of these things possible--sure... but maybe if I were a different person. Oh but you think that with practice I could do these things.

Perhaps you are right, but I will never practice. My self confidence, or lack thereof--or perhaps we should call it pride, won't let me. It won't let me fail--and that means falling, hitting a bad note, or not finding the right key.

I will say that I am getting better at opening myself up to embarrassment. Or at least that's how I think of it... or at least how I used to. I don't see showing the world my faults quite as embarrassment anymore. However, I'm not willing to show the world ALL my faults yet.

I am still unwilling to fall, to hit the wrong note, or to dedicate the time needed to play an instrument. Physical and creative faults are still too close to home to expose to the world.

I have made progress. I am willing to admit I am wrong. I am more fully able to say I'm sorry.

I'd say these are big ones to have conquered. They deal with interaction with others. Being a loner, sometimes I forget the need for other people, but I do need them--desperately in fact. So having managed to make fun of myself, to admit I'm wrong, or that I simply don't know the answer is a big step. And this step makes it easier for me to have something I desperately need.

Besides... perhaps writing is the only outlet or hobby I need right now. Everything else would just take time away from it, no?

Okay here is a motivational speaker. I'm sure this is helpful and says good things, but I can't get over how open his eyes are and how high his eyebrows stay all the time. Let's not even talk about him teleporting across the screen with youtube magic.

2 comments:

CoD said...

I think we all wish we had more talents than we do, and yes I agree practice is a necessary component. However, I think you are failing to look at the things you can do, which a lot of people can't. No need to be so hard on yourself when we all have things we are better at than others. You just need to focus on the good stuff! lol

As for the video...that guy just creeps me out. And why the hell is my failure humorous to him? He's damn near laughing as he's talking...its just not right.

CoD

Sandra Tuttle said...

Oh I know I can do some things well. Haha, fear of failure and conceit must go well together lol. I'm too good to fail damn it!

It wasn't meant to be a negative blog, just thoughts for the moment and some introspection.