Monday, August 03, 2009

Trouble writing the troublesome

I'm having a hard time writing a scene. It's an action sequence which normally I don't have a problem with--however something bad is happening to Samantha in this scene. Maybe that's why I can't see it in my head...because I don't want to? Maybe I can't/won't/don't want to put myself in her place?

As a filmmaker, I'm quite visual. I see everything first before I write it on the page. I can't see this. I can't see the movement, the blocking--what will make it the most suspenseful? Nothing is coming to me. This is frustrating. Before when something like this happened I was able to write the action and throw in the emotion later, but that isn't working. The scene in blind to me.

All I see are the treetops swaying in the swamp. Nothing else is happening. I know that all kinds of horrific scary things are happening on the ground, or will be shortly, but those damn trees just keep swaying and nothing else happens. It's like I'm a DVD with a big ole scratch on it. I'm stuck on a scene. You can move to the next scene just fine, but you'll miss that important scene which explains all the ones after it.

I don't think I can write the scene after without knowing what exactly happens in this one first. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

This scene is rather new to me. I just came up with it a week ago or so. Maybe it needs time to percolate in my brain pan a bit more.

2 comments:

CoD said...

Hey a block can happen to the best of us. Don't fret about it to much, it will only make it worse. The scene will come to you, I have absolutely no doubt...and it will be awesome. :)

CoD

Sandra Tuttle said...

Thanks for the support dear.

I suppose it could be labeled as a block, but I didn't really think of it as such, more like a deficiency of the brain. haha