Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Reasons for the happy dance

We had a great day of homeschooling yesterday. I am very excited about our new curriculum. We are using Konos: Obedience. It is a unit study approach that takes care of everything except math and grammar.

Yesterday we learned about Light. Our first week is called Authority and Light. We learned about how God is the Light of the World. We also learned about the sun, the speed of light, fire, how light bulbs work, Thomas Edison's contribution to the endeavor. We learned the myth of how Prometheus gave fire to man. We also studied Bioluminesence... all in one afternoon. Pretty crazy huh?

The boys and I had a blast. Then we ate dinner with only candle light and they explained to their dad the parts of a lightbulb and how they work. Then my oh-so-smart husband added his own information to the conversation and it was very informative.

During our candlelight dinner (oh I forgot to mention that we used wine glasses, although they were full of juice or milk haha) we discussed the times when people would only have candlelight. Later in the semester we will be doing Kings and Queens and the Middle Ages, so we discussed that. Talked about stewardship, serfs, feudal system, bards, traveling minstrels just to name a few.

I feel Konos is enriching our family already, after only two days. I really look forward to seeing what else this program brings to our family. I feel us getting closer and I know I am getting smarter, so I can only imagine what the boys are getting out of this.

Overall a very good day!

Now, on to the long lost topic of my book.

Well I'm on the last chapter, and it will be finished soon... VERY SOON. As in last night. Yup, yours truly finished her rough draft!!! Her first one ever!

I need mad props.

No comments: