Monday, September 25, 2006

Rebel: the new cotton ball



We've had our new dog, Rebel, for about a week now. As I said before he is a pitbull. Here is a pic of him and our other dog, a Black and Tan Coonie giving my hubby the good love.

Upon getting Rebel, and noticing that he is a bit skittish, I did some more in depth research into the breed. I came upon some interesting information.

Most of you are probably familiar with some of the myths behind the breed, locking jaw mechanism, aggression against people etc..

Let me state this fact to begin with so everyone knows that I do actually live in reality. They are fighting dogs. I know that. They have been bred to be fighting dogs. Does that make them bad pets? No, and here's why...

Imagine, you are a lameass son of a bitch who wants to be a real loser and fight dogs, pitbulls in particular. Let's say beyond the fighting, your ancestors, many generations of lameasses, have bred pitbulls for the sole reason of fighting.

What type of dog would be ideal for you? One that has aggression toward other dogs? Yes. One that has aggression toward people? Abso-fucking-lutely not. You'd want a dog who is submissive to you, very submissive to you. You'd want a dog that could fight in the ring sure, the dog would have to be very tough, and mean, but if the dog was mean to you, you'd kill it. Plain and simple. Pitbulls over the years have had aggression toward people bred out of them.

Despite the unfortunate circumstances behind this, the outcome is pleasant for pet owners. Rebel is the sweetest, best behaved dog. He'll come over to me and lay his head on my lap while I'm on the computer typing. He'll put his front paws on me, lick my chin then lay at my feet. Sometimes he'll just follow one of us around.

No comments: