Thursday, November 16, 2006

A gruesome little ditty: part 1

A response to a writing prompt... part 1.

A little darker than stuff I normally write.

I, Jamie Lynn Woriski, have never been to Disney World, and don’t think I ever will. Strange really, what inane things run through your mind at such times. I couldn’t think about my family, my friends, or hell, even my dogs. No, I thought about fucking Disney World. I’d watched too many game shows growing up.

“What do you plan on doing with your winnings,” said the deep, expressive announcer’s voice.

“We’re going to Disney World,” said the white trash family, whose winnings would mostly go to the IRS. They had probably never made it there either.

The clock just finished tolling the ungodly hour of 5am; franticly I told myself I must finish this one last task. Steeling myself, I gingerly slipped my arm, elbow deep into the almost empty intestinal cavity...chanting over and over "One last task, this one last job and then I’d be free.” Free of this torturous hell, at least that’s what they told me. This wasn’t the first time they said it though.

What other choice did I have in the matter? Die a slow painful death, not unlike what I was feeling now, or try to do what they asked in the hopes that I could one day leave.

I moved the intestines aside with my free hand, strange how I couldn’t feel that. Moving the stomach carefully, my buried arm searched beneath the kidneys. That’s where they put the key wasn’t it? The organs felt like warm dressing. Was the inside of a live human supposed to feel like a stuffed turkey on Thanksgiving?

It was difficult to lift my head. Having your stomach ripped open and intestines taken out will do that to you. Laying my head back on the cold grey concrete, I figured it wouldn’t help me to see. Watching them cut me open and act out the end of Braveheart was enough for me. Who knew when those dwarves play acted taking out intestines with a rope that was what it actually looked like, except the coloring was wrong. That could’ve just been my perspective, though. I definitely wasn’t objective at the time. Athough, this wasn’t the worse thing they’ve done to me.

I slid my hand carefully under my kidney. The least they could’ve done was clip my fingernails. I could be taking chunks out of my organs and never know it. They taught me the importance of keeping organs in tact. God, if only I knew this was going to happen when they were teaching me human anatomy.

God? Heh, had I just said God? Funny twist of fate that is. I wasn’t even going to waste my time thinking about it. It wasn’t going to help me one bit in here. I knew that now. Maybe that’s what they were waiting for, the end of my conscience. I bet it was. If I was strong enough to get the key out of myself, put my intestines back in and crawl to the door, then I’d be done in here. I’d be ready. I hadn’t even prayed for it to end this time.

I have the survival instinct. Killing my partner at their order proved that. I have the mental capacity. I beat their gauntlet. And this time… well… I thought about Disney World this time. That has to count for something.

My fingers connected to something hard. Hmm, either my spine or the key. I suppose it could be a kidney stone too. It moved. The key. Yes. It was going to be difficult getting it out of there without permanently harming myself. I’d have to put my other hand in there.


No comments: