Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Sandra Tuttle... "On Writing"

Alrighty, I am definitely not Stephen King here, but hopefully I have a few interesting things to say.

Over the weekend I attempted fast draft writing. Basically without reading what you wrote, or caring about how good it is, you just keep writing. On Saturday I wrote 13 pages, on Sunday I think I wrote another 8 for a total of 21 over the weekend. Not bad, but or fast draft I really should get up to 20 a day.

Hmm, she didn't mention how many she got yesterday. um *blush* 1.

I like the method, if only I could get it to work with my kids around. I know I just have to make myself. I just have to knuckle down and get writing. I'm not really in a rush to get the first draft of the second novel done. But I figure hey, I'm not revising at all this month so I might as well get the most done on Book 2 that I can. Who knows.

I can definitely see the merits of writing like this. First of all, it takes so long to edit a manuscript anyway, that I don't see it taking that much more time doing it this way. You have to go over every word anyways.

Secondly, I think your continuity will be that much better. There hasn't been a lengthy period of time while writing the book. The writer will be more in the zone, or in the characters head.

It has a lot of benefits, if one can find the time.

BTW did you hear about all the writers gone berserk lately? Yes,none of them knew each other, but they all had one thing in common. They were carrying Strunk and White's Elements of Style with them ;) Who needs the Catcher in the Rye

No comments: