Thursday, January 04, 2007

Delving into a new series...

A few months ago on a forum someone posted that they had just started to read a certain series of books. Another member posted a thread in reply, saying that they were jealous (in a happy way) of person A for being able to being able to read the books for the first time, to experience the world as new and wonderful.

That post really touched me. It's right, when I really think about it. Let's say someone just started reading the Anita Blake series or Sookie Stackhouse... The reader would have everything fresh to them. They would be able to read so many more books in a row, and have everything fresh in their memory (or if they read like I do it all becomes a blur after awhile as I become so immersed in the stories) The reader gets to take the plunge into the world and not resurface for quite some time. They get to wallow in all the fantastical goodness.

There is a sense of loss at the end of a book, and definitely when I read the most recent book in an open ended series. I know I will feel closure when the last Harry Potter book is written and I read it. But part of me will mourn for the characters. I will want their stories to continue on.

I suppose that is why there's fan fiction. I have never really understood or been a fan of fan fiction, especially on a series that is still being written, I like to see the author's vision. But maybe I've caught a glimpse into the world of fan fic. Perhaps these people love these characters so much that they want certain things to happen for them, either they don't agree with the author, or the series is ended and they want the character's stories to continue. Personally, I much rather make up my own characters... and once I do, they take up more than enough of my time, but I think I'm getting a clearer picture of fan fic.

So to anyone who reads this... if you are a fellow lover of books: talk to someone else who is, and have them recommend a new series, preferrably one that has many books. A friend of mine said just last night... how weird it is that with as many different series as we read... we're still always just waiting for the next book. I guess that means we need more series!

Fan fiction can definitely get out of hand though!

No comments: