Monday, January 22, 2007

Today is a Sad Day.

A glimpse into a world.

A snapshot.

Says what about the people captured? Peering through a keyhole into the lives of others reveals what? Imagine someone only viewed snippets of your life. What would it say about you?

The lie you told you parents to get out of trouble. The lie that caused the neighbor to get in trouble. Only you didn’t know that the neighbor was abused by his parents and your one lie caused him weeks of pain and his mother a black eye.

The call into work because you had imbibed too much alcohol the night before. That call caused your fellow employee to be overworked. She left work late that night, and was hit by a drunk driver, thus ending her life.

The cutting remark to the classmate who later on killed themselves, or worse, killed someone else.

The yanking of the dog’s tail one too many times. He bit you, and had to be put down.

The guy you cut off on the highway. He went home after being laid off and in a fit of rage, bashed in his television, thus electrocuting his baby daughter when she wandered too closely the following day.

On the other hand, perhaps all snippets aren’t bad. There is always the generous benefactor, the charitable sort. Not many people know that he diddled with his younger sister growing up, but the charity helps out just the same.

The clown that brings joy to so many children; she has a drinking problem.

The dedicated teacher who volunteers her time to teach inner city children remedial reading; she does so out of guilt. She ran a child over in the bad part of town one night when she was younger. She fled the scene of the crime. A hit and run by a car that looked like any other.

I’m not one to bring up religion or faith all that often and not on my blog. But we are all sinners. Everyone has skeletons. How well do we know people? I find out more and more that I know people less and less. I used to think of myself as an observant person. I would’ve been identified as such by others. Was I naïve in my thinking? I know that I was quite delusional in other aspects of my life.
I used to be think I was able to take on the world. I could do anything, when faced with whatever adversity. I don’t believe that anymore.

Maturity?

Perhaps.

But what if I’m just becoming complacent? What if I’m supposed to keep my spirit. My spirit isn’t supposed to be squished like a bug on the bottom of the shoe called life. I’ve blogged about this before in different terms, but I will reiterate.

Indifference. It is a disease that plagues our people, and part of us knows it. That same part fills their time with TV, movies, music, text messaging, shopping, and a multitude of other reasons. And yes, even books. I will admit, I am guilty too. Hell, I feel guilty for things I shouldn’t. I definitely feel guilty for everything I should.

Do our people still have a conscience, either as a collective or as an individual? Are you leading a life of distraction? Is the world, America in particular, living a life of escapism awaiting the end?

A picture says a thousand words, if not more. That is true. But the picture is a snapshot from your life. What words does it say? Are the words it says the right ones?

War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Peace comes from within. Freedom is the right to fight for what you believe in. Strength is doing what one knows to be right, regardless of how difficult.
How many of us have Peace, Freedom and Strength?
-------------------------------------------------

I wrote this last night in preparation for my blog today. This morning however, I found out a friend from Michigan, whom I lost contact with, killed himself on Saturday. Now this blog just seems like mindless drivel of a pompous raving idiot.

Today is a sad day.

R.I.P. Jeremy.

1 comment:

Sabrina Luna said...

No, Sandra, your rant is NOT pointless. You are full of hope. Posts like yours are great reminders for your readers --don't stop reminding us! :)