Friday, January 26, 2007

Pest Control

Continued...

“Now tell us something interesting about yourself.”

“Like what?”

“Anything that may perhaps set you apart from the others. We want unique individuals in this institution.”

Hmm, unique, huh? I have a whole lot of unique, unfortunately, not much of my set-apartness can be vocalized to the masses.

“I’m just your everyday, ordinary girl, Professor Klum.”

“Doubtful, young lady. Just tell us anything. Did you have a job over the summer perchance?”

Looking directly at Mr. Stone Cold Killer, I said, “Yes, I did as a matter of fact.”

“And what did you do?”

“Pest Control.”

His thin lip sneered to one side.

“Interesting summer job for a young lady. See, I told you, you are unique in some way. Now pass the ba—”

I threw the ball at Sneer’s head. He caught it, but it took him two hands and he wasn’t as quick as me. I could take him. It was my turn to sneer.

Pale green eyes stared back at me. I’ve seen those kind of eyes before, goblin eyes. They almost glow and have little variation or texture in the color. The light color was accentuated by the slash of cheek bones and a roman nose. His strong jaw jutted out at an angle to seem proud. How could I have thought his former expression was a flirtatious one? A face as serious as his isn’t capable of flirtation. It was only capable of one thing that I knew of.


No comments: