Friday, January 05, 2007

I am not an indifferent person.

I finished watching Dracula last night. Ugh I hate Keanu Reeves and Wynona Ryder isn't much better. Gary Oldman did a pretty good job (but he just doesn't allure me the way I think Dracula should) I must've had a brain fart because I either didn't know, or didn't realize that was a Coppola film. The acting was horrible... and I mean, it was really bad. The casting wasn't too much better. I heard Dracula 2000 was better but haven't seen it... anyone want to clue me in?

Now a bit about my personality here... I want to like things. I want to like movies...books... people. I want to like almost anything. It seems easier to like than dislike in my mind, although sometimes it seems more difficult in the long run. So I probably wouldn't be a very good critic, but having went to Film school and now attempting to become a good writer... I've started to notice things...

In books, I notice headhopping more often, or I notice when the author tells us instead of showing us something. I've started to notice that I would write things a certain way and would prefer it to be written that way. I just recently saw Eragon too, granted I was warned that it wasn't all that good so I may have been a bit biased. But I think regardless (and I haven't read the book for those of you who think I'm against it for that reason) I would've noticed some glaring continuity issues. The timing was way off and they glossed over parts I definitely would've touched upon a bit more.

What does that have to do with anything you ask? Well, I must say that knowledge is a double edged sword. Do I enjoy movies and books more because of my newly acquired knowledge? Sure I do. But do I dislike more because of it? Most definitely. I do believe, however, that my propensity to like everything is a saving grace in this way. It combats the knowledge bat that repeatedly beats me over the head. My liking everything has acted as a helmet against the cynic inside of me.

Going a little further... just because I want to like everything and everyone doesn't mean I do, it just means I give people a fair shake. It also means that I've made quite a few bad decisions, especially involving people. So I guess this is one big announcement to tell people to take advantage of me. I'm an easy mark... have at it.

P.S. I liked Superman Returns... imagine that haha

No comments: